Northern Steam Explorer
via Echuca, Deniliquin, Swan Hill and Piangil
Sleeping Carriage Weekend Tour
Friday 5 to Monday 8 June
707 Operations announces our next long weekend steam - hauled sleeping carriage train that will travel to Echuca, Deniliquin, Swan Hill and Piangil over the Queen's Birthday Long Weekend on Friday 5 June to Monday 8 June. You'll have time to explore two of the Murray River's most beautiful destinations. Once you step on board, you'll experience the magic of overnight rail travel in our restored sleeping and lounge carriages, including day trips to Deniliquin and Piangil. Book your tickets here.
Following an evening departure from Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 10.00 pm, we will begin with a welcome aboard drink and nibbles in our lounge carriages as we head North travelling through Gisborne, Woodend and Kyenton towards Bendigo. Retire to your sleeping cabin for an evening of rest as we climb up the Great Dividing Range through Woodend, and north to the Murray region during the night.
With an early morning arrival into Echuca, we will wake for breakfast and then a day trip to Deniliquin departing at 9.45 am (included in the fare). Alternatively you can stay in Echuca for the 2020 Echuca Steam Rally.
We arrive in to Deniliquin at 11.45 am, where you can explore Deniliquin and take a long lunch before the 2.45 pm departure time as we return to Echuca, where the train will arrive at 5.00 pm.
Our dinner service tonight is on the water! Join a historic Murray River paddle steamer as we cruise our way along the mighty Murray River and enjoy a buffet dinner along the way. Transfer back to the train for an after dark departure (10.00 pm) Saturday night, from Echuca to Bendigo, then from Bendigo to Swan Hill. We'll arrive into Swan Hill very early on Sunday morning while most passengers are fast asleep in comfortable private sleeping compartments.
In Swan Hill, you can join us for a shuttle train over the freight only track to Piangil and return or explore this Murray River township at your own leisure. Sunday afternoon join us on the PS Pyap for a Murray River cruise.
Twinette Roomette Non AC Twinette
Early on Monday morning we will depart from Swan Hill at 4.30 am, travelling to Melbourne. With stops at Bendigo (7.45 am), we will arrive back to Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 12.50 pm. We also have the option of one-way travel from Swan Hill and Bendigo to Melbourne Monday morning.
Our heritage train features:
- Steam hauled by R707, assisted at times by our diesel locomotives
- Day excursions to Deniliquin and Piangil
- Licenced Club Carriages
- Murray River cruise on the PS Pyap
- Air conditioned restored 1950's carriages
- Relaxed vintage travel atmosphere
- Full Cooked breakfast each morning in comfortable lounge carriages
- A range of travel and sleeping options to suit all budgets
- Dinner each evening
- Light snacks on the train throughout the trip
- Lunch on the train Monday
We have range of travel options for the trip (weekend trip options include all meals) including:
- The NAM Carriage: Premium Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin with all amenities provided, a private toilet is located in each sleeping compartment.
- The LAN Carriage: Premium Roomette private sleeping compartment for one person with a lounge seat by day and bed by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a wash basin with all amenities provided, shared shower facilities are located at the end of the carriage and shared toilet facilities are located in this carriage.
- The SJ Carriage: Standard Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with shared toilet facilities in adjoining carriages.
- WANDO Non-Air Conditioned use as Twinette or Large Roomette: in our Edwardian carriage WANDO, private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private wash basin, with shared shower and toilet facilities located in adjoining carriages.
- Echuca locals day trip to Deniliquin Saturday 5 June departing at 9.30 am with our steam locomotive.
- Swan Hill local shuttle between Swan Hill and Piangil Sunday 7 June departing at 8.50 am with our steam locomotive.
- Swan Hill saloon seats for a one way trip to Melbourne Monday 8 June, including lunch on the train.
Saloon Carraige Seating Compartment Seating
|The NAM Carraige Twinette Sleeper (for two people)
|The LAN Carriage Roomette Sleeper (for one person)
|The SJ Carraige Twinette Sleeper (for two people)||$895 pp|
|WANDO Non-Air Conditioned Twinette (for two people)||$845 pp
|Swan Hill to Melbourne - One Way (Sunday)
|Echuca to Deniliquin day trip Adult
|Echuca to Deniliquin day trip Child (4 to 16 yrs)
|Sunday Shuttles Swan Hill and Piangil return Adult||$40 pp
|Sunday Shuttles Child (3 to 16 yrs) Swan Hill and Piangil return (3 to 16 yrs)||$20 pp
|Motorcader Donation (1)
(1) For those motorcading our train to photograph, please consider donating towards the costs of running our trip.
Train Travel Times - to be confirmed
The following train times are approximate and subject to change. Please visit our website two days prior to departure to check for any updates.
Friday 5 June
|Depart Southern Cross Station
Saturday 6 June
|Arrive Echuca Station
|Depart Echuca Station||9.30 am|
||12.00 pm - 2. 45 pm
||5.00 pm - 10.00 pm
|Bendigo||11.20 pm - 3.30 am|
Sunday 7 June
|Arrive Swan Hill Station
|Depart Swan Hill Station||8.50 am|
|Piangil||10.00 am - 10.20 am|
|Arrive Swan Hill Station||11.30am|
Monday 8 June
|Depart Swan Hill
||7.40 am - 9.00 am
|Arrive Southern Cross Station
Please note for this trip we will not be boarding passengers at our Newport Depot.
Download the Northern Steam Explorer flyer HERE.
Locomotives and carriages for the trip, may be subject to change without notice due operational requirements.