Steam to Sea Lake
Friday 6 to Sunday 8 September
We have been given the opportunity for another tour to Wycheproof and Sea Lake, so 707 Operations is returning to the Korong Vale and Kulwin branch line with the heritage sleeping carriages, hauled by our vintage steam and diesel locomotives departing from Melbourne, Southern Cross on Friday 6 September, returning on Sunday 8 September. With delays to the second stage Murray Basin rail standardisation project join 707 Operations as we travel the truncated Kulwin branch line to the terminus at Sea Lake with two nights of unique overnight travel with our steam locomotive R707 and heritage diesel locomotives and carriages to Sea Lake and a weekend away. Book your tickets here.
An evening departure with our heritage diesel locomotives from Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 10.10 pm, we will begin with a welcome aboard drink and nibbles in our lounge carriages as we head west and northward to Ballarat and Maryborough. Retiring to your sleeping cabin for an evenings rest as we climb up the Great Dividing Range through Bacchus Marsh, on through Ballarat and Maryborough during the night
With our steam locomotive joining the train at Maryborough we will depart Maryborough at 4.30 am and head out through Dunolly, Inglewood, Korong Vale, Charlton and Wycheproof for the likely last broad gauge passenger train to venture on the line to Kulwin. Start Saturday morning with a cooked breakfast as we head north-west into Victoria's grain belt and then enjoy the spring crops travel past before we arrive into Sea Lake around 11.05 am. With a 90 minute stop in Sea Lake, we will return to Wycheproof to arrive at 2.05 pm.
On Saturday afternoon, our sleeping carriage passengers will enjoy an included coach tour taking in part of the Silo Art Trail exploring some long forgotten railway heritage and now famous art works on disused grain silo's.
For Wycheproof locals we offer the option of joining the train at Wycheproof for the trip to Sea Lake and return Saturday 7 September.
**PLEASE NOTE THAT CHARLTON TICKETS HAVE SOLD OUT**
After spending Saturday afternoon exploring Wycheproof, we will re-join at the Wycheproof Hotel for a pub dinner before re-boarding the train after dinner (or later in the evening).
Twinette Sleeper Roomette Sleeper Non-AC Twinette WANDO
Our Sunday morning starts with a cooked breakfast before we run a locals shuttle (9.50 am) to Nullawill (10.30 am) and return to Wycheproof (11.30 am). After a quick top up with water, we will have a 12.30 am departure to return to Melbourne. Enjoy Sunday afternoon as we travel south for a 3.25 pm arrival at Maryborough. Departing Maryborough at 4.50 pm, we pause for dinner in Ballarat from 6.08 pm until 7.50 pm and then our train will arrive back into Southern Cross Station at 10.00 pm.
We also have the option of one-way travel from Maryborough and Ballarat to Melbourne Sunday, including dinner.
Our heritage train features:
- Cafe Hudson espresso bar
- Licenced Club Carriages Victoria and Lounge Car 708
- Air conditioned restored 1950's carriages
- Relaxed vintage travel atmosphere
- Cooked breakfasts each morning
- A range of travel and sleeping options
- Two course pub dinner Saturday night at the Wycheproof Hotel
- Lunches both days on the train
- Dinner on the train on Sunday evening
We have range of travel options for the trip (weekend trip options include all meals) including:
- The NAM Carriage: Premium Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with private toilet facilities located in each sleeping compartment.
- The LAN Carriage: Premium Roomette private sleeping compartment for one person with lounge seat by day and bed by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a wash basin, with shared shower facilities located at the end of the carriage and shared toilet facilities located in this carriage.
- The SJ Carriage: Standard Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with shared toilet facilities in adjoining carriages.
- The VAM Carriage: Standard Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a wash basin, with shared shower and toilet facilities in adjoining carriages.
- WANDO Non-Air Conditioned use as Twinette or Large Roomette: in our Edwardian carriage WANDO, private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private wash basin, with shared shower and toilet facilities located in adjoining carriages.
- Wycheproof locals day trip to join the train at Wycheproof for a day trip to Sea Lake (including lunch) and return to Wycheproof on Saturday 7 September. **PLEASE NOTE THAT CHARLTON TICKETS HAVE SOLD OUT**
- Wycheproof to Nullawill shuttle on Sunday 8 September and one way option Wycheproof to Charlton.
- Maryborough/Ballarat saloon seats for a one way trip to Melbourne (includes dinner) Sunday 28 September.
Saloon Carriage Seating Compartment Seating
|The NAM Carriage - Premium Twinette Sleeper (for two people)
||$895 pp - sold out
|The LAN Carraige - Premium Roomette Sleeper (for one person)
||$895 pp - sold out
|The SJ Carriage - Standard Twinette Sleeper (for two people)||$845 pp - sold out|
|The VAM Carriage - Standard Twinette Sleeper (for two people)||$845 pp - sold out|
|WANDO - Non-AC Twinette Sleepter (for one or two people)||$795 pp|
|Wycheproof to Sea Lake Adult (Saturday)
|Wycheproof to Sea Lake Child (4 to 16 yrs) (Saturday)||$35 pp|
|Wycheproof to Nullawill Shuttle Adult (Sunday)||$40 pp|
|Wycheproof to Nullawill Shuttle Child (4 to 16 yrs) (Sunday)||$20 pp|
|Maryborough/Ballarat to Melbourne - One Way (Sunday)
|Motorcader Donation (1)
(1) For those motorcading our train to photograph, please consider donating towards the costs of running our trip. Visit www.trybooking.com/QWNJ to make your donation.
Train Travel Times - confirmed
The following train times are approximate and subject to change. Please visit our website two days prior to departure to check for any updates.
To Sea Lake - Friday 6 September
|Depart Southern Cross Station
|Maryborough||4.00 - 4.30 am|
|Korong Vale||6.45 am|
|Wycheproof||8.25 - 9.15 am|
||11.05 am -12.30 pm|
|Arrive Wycheproof||2.05 pm|
From Wycheproof - Sunday 8 September
|Depart Wycheproof (Sunday)||9.50 am|
|Nullawill||10.30 - 10.50 am|
||11.30 - 12.30 pm|
|Korong Vale||1.45 pm|
||3.25 - 4.50 pm|
|Ballarat||6.08 - 7.50 pm|
|Bacchus Marsh||9.10 pm|
|Arrive Southern Cross Station
Please note for this trip we will not be boarding passengers at our Newport Depot.
To download The Grainlander flyer.
Revised: 28 August 2019