Saturday 28 to Sunday 29 August 2021
A heritage diesel hauled slow rail cruise featuring Quambatook and the Silo Cinema at twilight.
Welcome aboard our next weekend slow rail cruise for 2021 as we journey to Quambatook (population 250) for a night at the twilight Silo Cinema. Travel in beautiful heritage sleeping carriages, hauled by heritage diesel locomotives A 66 and S 306 on a COVID-Safe weekend away. Your slow rail cruise departs from Melbourne's Southern Cross Station on the morning of Saturday 28 August 2021. Book your tickets here.
All aboard at 8.30 am, as we leave Melbourne and the city environs behind, you'll be served breakfast in your private sleeping compartment as our heritage diesel locomotives work hard travelling towards Bacchus Marsh and Ballarat. Watch the changing landscape from your sleeping berth or one of our two lounge carriages featured on this slow rail cruise as we travel to north to Quambatook passing through Maryborough, Korong Vale, Boort and finally arriving at Quambatook.
Upon arrival in Quambatook, freshen up ready for a night of excitement - Dinner and a show! Bring your own folding chair or picnic blanket and enjoy Quambatook's outdoor cinema - projected onto the side of the town grain silo! As the sun sets in the West, all eyes will be glued to the silo, for the 1987 Australian movie Warm Nights on a Slow Moving Train.
Warms Nights on a Slow Moving Train, starring Wendy Hughes, Colin Friels, and Norman Kaye - A convent teacher spreads a little happiness and makes enough money to support her crippled brother's habit by selling her favors regularly on a cross-country night sleeper. She makes sure she is in control of each encounter until one client reaches her more than she expects. As her orderly business plan turns to chaos, she is forced to commit political assassination to keep her life and her freedom, but is there another way out?
After your night under the stars, relax in our two on-train lounge carriages, Club Victoria or BK708 before retiring for the night to your private and comfortable sleeping compartment.
Twinette Sleeper Roomette Sleeper Non-AC Twinette WANDO
On Sunday morning, enjoy breakfast as we commence our slow return to Melbourne. Along the way, we have requested a two hour stop over to allow ample time for everyone to explore parts of Inglewood at their own pace. (Our Inglewood stop is dependant on other grain train operations). After Inglewood, we pause briefly at Maryborough and Ballarat before travelling via North Shore (for Geelong passengers). Your slow rail cruise ends when we reach Southern Cross Station in The heart of Melbourne, and you'll leave the train refreshed, with memories of an amazing weekend in the country and some new found friendships.
As usual on all 707 Operations sleeping carriage rail cruises, John and Darren will be your tour organisers and on-train hosts.
We also have the option of one-way travel from Melbourne to Maryborough on Saturday 28th of August or Maryborough to Melbourne on Sunday 29th of August, which include meals.
Our heritage train slow rail cruise features:
- Cafe Hudson espresso bar
- Licenced Club Carriages Victoria and Lounge Car 708
- Air conditioned restored 1950's carriages
- Relaxed vintage travel atmosphere
- Breakfast delivered to your cabin each morning
- A range of travel and sleeping options
- Dinner on Saturday evening while in Quambatook
- Lunches both days on the train
- A light refreshment on Sunday afternoon, prior to our arrival into Melbourne
We have range of travel options for the trip (weekend trip options include all meals) including:
- The NAM Carriage: Premium Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with private toilet facilities located in each sleeping compartment.
- The LAN Carriage: Premium Roomette private sleeping compartment for one person with lounge seat by day and bed by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a wash basin, with shared shower facilities located at the end of the carriage and shared toilet facilities located in this carriage.
- The SJ Carriage: Standard Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with shared toilet facilities in adjoining carriages.
- WANDO Non-Air Conditioned Twinette: in our Edwardian carriage WANDO, private sleeping compartment for two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private wash basin, with shared shower and toilet facilities located in adjoining carriages.
Our train is a COVID-Safe environment in line with Victorian Government requirements, including checkin and contact tracing for all passengers, enhanced cleaning of the train during the trip and refund policies.
|The NAM Carriage - Premium Twinette Sleeper (for two people)
||$645 pp - sold out
|The LAN Carraige - Premium Roomette Sleeper (for one person)
|The SJ Carriage - Standard Twinette Sleeper (for two people)||$645 pp|
|WANDO - Non-AC Twinette Sleepter (for two people)||$545 pp|
|Melbourne to Maryborough - one way||$140 pp|
|Maryborough to Melbourne - one way||$140 pp|
|Motorcader and Donation (1)||$10|
(1) For those motorcading our train to photograph, please consider donating towards the costs of running our trip - donate here. For your donation, we will provide a detailed schedule and tour notes 24 hours prior to departure and SMS updates should our train fall behind schedule in excess of 30 minutes.
Train Travel Times - subjct to confirmation
The following train times are approximate and subject to change. Please visit our website two days prior to departure to check for any updates.
To Quambatook - Saturday 28 August 2021
|Depart Southern Cross Station
||11.10 - 11.30 am
|Arrive Quambatook||5.40 pm|
From Quambatook - Sunday 29 August 2021
|Depart Quambatook||7.00 am|
|Inglewood||10.15 am - 12.15 pm|
|North Shore (Geelong)||5.00 pm|
|Arrive Southern Cross Station
Please note for this trip we will not be boarding passengers at our Newport Depot.
For other information about travelling on our train - visit our frequently asked questions page.
Download THE GRAINLANDER brochure here.
Revised: 7 April 2021