R707 SINCE RESTORATION
In early 1992, the Spotswood workshops were no longer required by the Public Transport Corporation for railway purposes with the possibility of the land being either sold or leased to outside industries. R707, along with the diesel-electric shunting locomotive F208, stored locomotives R753 and F204, and all workshop equipment including spare parts and tools, were transferred over to Roads 7 and 8 in the West Block of Newport Workshops where much better facilities existed to store and maintain the locomotives.
The Newport West Block Workshop remains the base for R707 and most of its mainline trips start from Garden Platform at Newport Workshops.
Major R707 maintenance projects since completed by Seven – O – Seven Operations at Newport are:
- 1998 – overhaul tender bogies brake gear
- 1999 – renew boiler tubes (flue tubes not renewed)
- 2001 – overhaul motion gear, mechanical stoker screw and intermediate draw gear
- 2002 – overhaul all turret valves
- 2003 – overhaul lubrication system
- 2004 – repair smoke box door
- 2006 – repair firebox water cracks, replace individual flexible stays
- 2008 – overhaul Westinghouse brake components, replace front bogie rocker pins
Last Updated: 28 December 2008