Northern Steam Explorer
via Echuca, Deniliquin, Swan Hill and Piangil
Sleeper Weekend Tour
Friday 7 to Monday 10 June
707 Operations announces our second long weekend steam- hauled sleeping carriage train as we travel to Echuca, Deniliquin, Swan Hill and Piangil over the Queen's Birthday Long Weekend on Friday 7th June to Monday 10th June. You'll have time to explore two of the Murray River's most beautiful destinations. Once you step on board, you'll experience the magic of overnight rail travel in our restored sleeping and lounge carriages, including day trips to Deniliquin and Piangil. Book your tickets here.
Following an evening departure from Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 10.00 pm, we will begin with a welcome aboard drink and nibbles in our lounge carriages as we head North to Seymour and Toolamba. Retiring to your sleeping cabin for an evenings rest as we climb up the Great Dividing Range through Seymour, and north to the Murray during the night.
With an early am arrival into Echuca, we will wake for breakfast and a day trip departing at 9.45 am to Denilquin (included in the fare) or stay in Echuca for the 2019 Echuca Steam Rally. Arriving in Deniliquin at 11.45 pm, explore Deniliquin or take a long lunch before our 2. 45 pm departure, and return to Echuca at 5.00 pm.
Following dinner at a local Echuca hotel, we will have an after dark departure (10.00 pm) Saturday night, from Echuca to Bendigo, then from Bendigo to Swan Hill. We'll arrive into Swan Hill very early on Sunday morning while most passengers are fast asleep in comfortable private sleeping compartments.
In Swan Hill, you can join us for two shuttle trains over the freight only track to Piangil and return or explore this Murray River township at your own leisure. Sunday afternoon join us on the PS Pyap for a Murray River cruise.
Twinette Roomette Non AC Twinette
Monday morning we have 10.00 am departure to Melbourne. With stops at Bendigo (1.50 pm), we will arrive back to Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 6.50 pm. We also have the option of one-way travel from Swan Hill and Bendigo to Melbourne Monday afternoon.
Our heritage train features:
- Day excursions to Deniliquin and Piangil
- Licenced Club Carriages
- Murray River cruise on the PS Pyap
- Air conditioned restored 1950's carriages
- Relaxed vintage travel atmosphere
- Full Cooked breakfast each morning in comfortable lounge carriages
- A range of travel and sleeping options to suit all budgets
- Dinner each evening
- Light snacks on the train throughout the trip
- Lunch on the train Monday
We have range of travel options for the trip including:
- Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with toilet facilities located on board.
- Roomette private sleeping compartment for one person with a lounge seat by day and a bed by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a wash basin, with shower and toilet facilities located at the end of this carriage.
- Non-Air Conditioned Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private wash basin, with toilet facilities located at the end of the carriage and shower facilities in adjacent carriages.
- Echuca locals day trip to Deniliquin Saturday 8 June departing at 9.00 am with our steam locomotive.
- Swan Hill local shuttles between Swan Hill and Piangil Sunday 9 June departing at 8.50 am and 2.00 pm with our steam locomotive.
- Swan Hill saloon seats for a one way trip to Melbourne Monday 10 June, including lunch and dinner on the train.
Saloon Carraige Seating Compartment Seating
|Twinette Sleeper (for two people)
|Roomette Sleeper (for one person)
|Non-Air Conditioned Twinette (for two people)||$845 pp
|Swan Hill to Melbourne - One Way (Sunday)
|Echuca to Deniliquin day trip Adult
|Echuca to Deniliquin day trip Child (4 to 16 yrs)
|Sunday Shuttles Swan Hill and Piangil return Adult||$40 pp
|Sunday Shuttles Child (3 to 16 yrs) Swan Hill and Piangil return (3 to 16 yrs)||$15 pp
|Motorcader Donation (1)
(1) For those motorcading our train to photograph, please consider donating towards the costs of running our trip.
Train Travel Times - to be confirmed
The following train times are approximate and subject to change. Please visit our website two days prior to departure to check for any updates.
Friday 7 June
|Depart Southern Cross Station
Saturday 8 June
|Arrive Echuca Station
|Depart Echuca Statioj||9.30 am|
||11.45 am - 2. 45 pm
||5.00 pm - 10.00 pm
|Bendigo||11.20 pm - 3.30 am|
Sunday 9 June
|Arrive Swan Hill Station
|Depart Swan Hill Station - Shuttle 1||8.50 am|
|Piangil||10.00 am - 10.30 am|
|Arrive Swan Hill Station||11.40am|
|Depart Swan Hill Station - Shuttle 2||2.00 pm|
|Piangil||3.10 pm - 3.40 pm|
|Arrive Swan Hill Station||4.50 pm|
Monday 10 June
|Depart Swan Hill
||1.25 pm - 2.50 pm
|Arrive Southern Cross Station
Please note for this trip we will not be boarding passengers at our Newport Depot.