via Echuca, Swan Hill and Piangil
Slow Rail Cruise Weekend Tour
Friday 23 to Sunday 25 July
Change of tour date due to COVID-19 restrictions.
707 Operations announces our next steam - hauled sleeping carriage slow rail cruise train that will travel to Echuca, Swan Hill and Piangil over the Friday 23 to Sunday 25 July (previously the Queen's Birthday Long Weekend). You'll have time to explore two of the Murray River's most beautiful destinations. Once you step on board, you'll experience the magic of overnight rail travel in our restored sleeping and lounge carriages, including day trips to Piangil. Book your tickets here.
Following an evening departure from Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 10.10 pm, we will begin with a welcome aboard drink and nibbles in our lounge carriages as we head North travelling through Gisborne, Woodend and Kyenton towards Bendigo. Retire to your sleeping cabin for an evening of rest as we climb up the Great Dividing Range through Woodend, and north to the Murray region during the night.
With an early morning arrival into Swan Hill join us for a shuttle train over the freight only track to Piangil and return or explore this Murray River township at your own leisure.
An afternoon Murray River cruise is included at twilight, followed by dinner very close to where our train is stabled at Swan Hill. Transfer back to the train for an after dark departure (9.10 pm) Saturday night, from Swan Hill to Bendigo, then from Bendigo to Echuca. We'll arrive into Echuca early on Sunday morning, just in time for a hearty breakfast.
In Echuca, you can explore this Murray River township at your own leisure before our lunch cruise along the mighty Murray River, on board a very historic paddle steamer. After lunch, transfer back to the railway station for our (mostly) daylight return journey to Melbourne.
Twinette Roomette Non AC Twinette
We depart from Echuca at 2.25 pm, travelling direct to Melbourne. A small stop at Bendigo (3.45 - 4.45 pm) will allow the R class steam engine time to take on additional water for the journey ahead, and we will arrive back to Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 8.20 pm. We also have the option of one-way travel from Echuca and Bendigo to Melbourne Sunday afternoon.
Our heritage train features:
- Steam hauled by R707 and our heritage diesel locomotives
- Day excursion to Piangil
- Licenced Club Carriages
- Murray River cruise on the PS Pyap
- Murray River lunch cruise while in Echuca
- Air conditioned restored 1950's carriages
- Relaxed vintage travel atmosphere
- Welcome aboard drink and light evening snack on Friday night after departure
- Breakfast each morning
- Lunch on Sunday while in Echuca
- Dinner each evening
- Light snacks on the train throughout the trip
- A range of travel and sleeping options to suit all budgets
We have range of travel options for the trip (weekend trip options include most meals) including:
- The NAM Carriage: Premium Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin with all amenities provided, a private toilet is located in each sleeping compartment.
- The LAN Carriage: Premium Roomette private sleeping compartment for one person with a lounge seat by day and bed by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a wash basin with all amenities provided, shared shower facilities are located at the end of the carriage and shared toilet facilities are located in this carriage.
- The SJ Carriage: Standard Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with shared toilet facilities in adjoining carriages.
- WANDO Non-Air Conditioned Twinette: in our Edwardian carriage WANDO, private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private wash basin, with shared shower and toilet facilities located in adjoining carriages.
- Swan Hill local shuttle between Swan Hill and Piangil Saturday 24 July departing at 8.00 am with our steam locomotive.
- Echuca saloon seats for a one way trip to Melbourne Sunday 25 July, including lunch on the train.
Saloon Carraige Seating Compartment Seating
|The NAM Carraige Twinette Sleeper (for two people)
||$1195 pp - SOLD OUT|
|The LAN Carriage Roomette Sleeper (for one person)
|The SJ Carraige Twinette Sleeper (for two people)||$1145 pp|
|WANDO Non-Air Conditioned Twinette (for two people)||$995 pp
|Steam shuttle Swan Hill to Piangil & return Adult (Saturday 24 July)||$40 pp
|Echuca to Melbourne - One Way (Sunday 25 July)||$140 pp|
|Motorcader Donation (1)
(1) For those motorcading our train to photograph, please consider donating towards the costs of running our trip.
Train Travel Times - to be confirmed
The following train times are approximate and subject to change. Please visit our website two days prior to departure to check for any updates.
Friday 23 July
|Depart Southern Cross Station
Saturday 24 July
|Arrive Swan Hill
|Depart Swan Hill||8.00 am|
||9.10 am - 9.25 am
|Arrive Swan Hill
|Depart Swan Hill||9.10 pm|
Sunday 25 July
||12.30 - 6.00 am
|Arrive Echuca||7.40 am|
|Depart Echuca||2.25 pm|
|Bendigo||3.45 - 4.45 pm|
|Arrive Southern Cross Station||8.20 pm|
|Please note for this trip we will not be boarding passengers at our Newport Depot.|
For other information about travelling on our train - visit our frequently asked questions page.
Locomotives and carriages for the trip, may be subject to change without notice due operational requirements.