Heritage Steam and Diesel to Tocumwal
Friday 17 to Sunday 19 September
Returning to Tocumwal for first time in many years, we invite you to join us on our slow rail cruise to Tocumwal travelling in comfortable and private heritage sleeping carriages, hauled R 707 over the weekend 17 to 19 September. Join 707 Operations as we travel to Toumwal for the 2021 Tocumwal Airshow with two nights of unique overnight travel with our heritage steam locomotive, assisted at times by vintage diesel locomotives. Enjoy a COVID-Safe weekend away making new-found friendships and memories that you'll not easily forget. Book your tickets here.
Departing from Melbourne's Southern Cross Station at 10.00 pm on Friday 17th September, meet your tour organisers and fellow travellers with a welcome aboard drink and nibbles in our lounge carriages as we head north to Seymour and Shepparton. Retiring to your sleeping cabin for an evenings rest as we climb up the Great Dividing Range from Wallan through Kilmore East and on through Seymour and Shepparton during the night.
With a 6.00 am arrival into Tocumwal, we will start Saturday morning the right way, with a hearty cooked breakfast and coffee! Take the morning to explore the Murray River town of Tocumwal or head straight for the complimentary shuttle coach transfer to the Tocumwal Airport for the 2021 Tocumwal Airshow and enjoy the day of flight displays which will include jets, warbirds, bi-planes and aerobatics for the afternoon (entry included in fare).
Watch the skies over Tocumwal, along the New South Wales and Victorian border come alive as they are filled with aircraft, both old and not-so-old, during the 2021 Tocumwal Airshow!
After enjoying the day at the Tocumwal Airshow, enjoy a catered dinner with your fellow guests, then enjoy a eveing stroll along the banks of the beautiful Murray River, or enjoy a nighcap in Club Victoria.
Twinette Sleeper Roomette Sleeper Non-AC Twinette WANDO
Watch closely as the steam engine comes to life on Sunday morning for the journey ahead. After a cooked breakfast the train will run to Strathmerton (9.00 am) and return to Tocumwal (10.00 am) allowing the residents of Tocumwal and surrounds the chance to experience a short steam train journey. The locomotive will then be quickly serviced and provisioned for an 11.00 am departure returning to Melbourne. Enjoy Sunday afternoon in one of Lounge Carriages or your private compartment as we make our way home again, travelling in daylight throughout with short stops at Shepparton and Seymour. Your slow weekend rail cruise experience will arrive back into Southern Cross station at 6.00 pm.
We also have the option of one-way travel from Tocumwal and Seymour to Melbourne Sunday.
Our heritage train features:
- Cafe Hudson espresso bar
- Licenced Club Carriages Victoria and Lounge Car 708
- Air conditioned restored 1950's carriages
- Entry to the 2021 Tocumwal Airshow
- Relaxed vintage travel atmosphere
- Cooked breakfasts each morning
- A range of travel and sleeping options
- Two course pub dinner Saturday night
- Lunches on the train Sunday
We have range of travel options for the trip (weekend trip options include all meals) including:
- The NAM Carriage: Premium Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with private toilet facilities located in each sleeping compartment.
- The LAN Carriage: Premium Roomette private sleeping compartment for one person with lounge seat by day and bed by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a wash basin, with shared shower facilities located at the end of the carriage and shared toilet facilities located in this carriage.
- The SJ Carriage: Standard Twinette private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private shower and wash basin, with shared toilet facilities in adjoining carriages.
- WANDO Non-Air Conditioned Twinette: in our Edwardian carriage WANDO, private sleeping compartment for up to two people with lounge seats by day and bunk beds by night (including linen). Each compartment contains a private wash basin, with shared shower and toilet facilities located in adjoining carriages.
- Tocumwal to Strathmerton shuttle (rail-only) on Sunday 19 September.
- Tocumwal/Seymour saloon seats for a one way trip to Melbourne (includes meals) Sunday 19 September.
Our train is a COVID-Safe environment in line with Victorian Government requirements, including check-in and contact tracing for all passengers, enhanced cleaning of the train during the trip and refund policies.
Saloon Carriage Seating Compartment Seating
|The NAM Carriage - Premium Twinette Sleeper (for two people)
||$945 pp - Sold Out
|The LAN Carraige - Premium Roomette Sleeper (for one person)
|The SJ Carriage - Standard Twinette Sleeper (for two people)||$895 pp|
|WANDO - Non-AC Twinette Sleepter (for two people)||$845 pp|
|Tocumwal to Strathmerton Shuttle Adult (Sunday)||$35 pp|
|Tocumwal to Strathmerton Shuttle Child (4 to 16 yrs) (Sunday)||$15 pp|
|Tocumwal to Melbourne - One Way (Sunday) includes lunch and light refreshment
|Seymour to Melbourne - One Way (Sunday) includes light refreshment||$70 pp|
|Motorcader Donation (1)
(1) For those motorcading our train to photograph, please consider donating towards the costs of running our trip - donate here.
Train Travel Times - subjct to confirmation
The following train times are approximate and subject to change. Please visit our website two days prior to departure to check for any updates.
To Tocumwal - Friday 17 September
|Depart Southern Cross Station
|Arrive Tocumwal||6.00 am|
From Tocumwal - Sunday 19 September
|Depart Tocumwal (Sunday)||9.00 am|
|Strathmerton||9.25 - 9.30 am|
||10.00 - 11.00 am|
|Shepparton||12.30 - 2.00 pm|
|Seymour||3.40 - 4.30 pm|
|Arrive Southern Cross Station
Please note for this trip we will not be boarding passengers at our Newport Depot.
For other information about travelling on our train - visit our frequently asked questions page.
Download The Riverlander flyer.
Revised: 27 January 2021